Your kidneys do so much for you on a continual basis. They regulate your blood pressure, maintain blood chemistry and fluids, and filter impurities from your bloodstream. Why not do something nice for them by adding disease-fighting Super Foods to your daily menu.
Super Foods contain antioxidants that help fight “free radicals” in the body that can contribute to many chronic diseases including cancer, heart disease, and Alzheimer’s disease. These free radicals are created when the oxygen in your body reacts to fats and cholesterol in your blood and cells. It’s a perfectly normal reaction, but excessive oxidation can release free radical molecules that can damage cell membranes and even genes.
The good news is, even in low doses, antioxidants can help slow the rate of oxidation and the release of free radicals. Here are our top five Super Foods that will help you in that fight, and in the process, help your kidneys function more smoothly:
- Red Bell Peppers – Raw or toasted, red bell peppers are low in potassium (which is good for your kidneys) while high in vitamins A, C, B6, folic acid and fiber. They also contain the antioxidant lycopene.
- Cabbage – Also low in potassium, cabbage contains phytochemicals that are important for breaking up free radicals. Use raw in coleslaw or cooked, cabbage is high in vitamins B6, C, and K and is a good source of folic acid and fiber.
- Cauliflower – Cauliflower contains compounds that help your liver neutralize and eliminate toxic substances. It’s also packed with vitamin C, folate (folic acid) and fiber.
- Garlic – Garlic is effective at reducing inflammation and lowering cholesterol, in addition to providing antioxidants and anti-clotting properties. It’s best when used raw but still a powerful antioxidant fighter when cooked.
- Onions – Packed with flavonoids which are natural chemicals that prevent deposits of fatty material in the blood vessels, onions are a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. Low in potassium and high in chromium, a mineral that assists your body with the metabolism of fats.
Other Super Foods include apples, cranberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, cherries, red grapes, egg whites, fish and olive oil.
Dr. Ayodeji and his staff have always provided me with professionalism and great customer service. Even in the midst of my accepting my situation, Dr. Ayodeji was the most understanding physician I have ever dealt with. He truly cares and understands. I appreciate him in many ways as a doctor.
There is a genuine concern with my medical care. Also the staff has always worked along with me in case of an emergency.
I’ve always liked (Peninsula Kidney Associates) and will continue to come. I feel relieved to know I have had the best of care.
I always leave with the satisfaction of feeling I had the best assessment of my condition and the best intervention. I would say I am a miracle with the treatment I receive.
For me , I would rather come here than any of my other physicians.
Dr. Wang is always concerned and aware of my healthcare. Even when we call about questions, she takes the time to make any necessary adjustments.
I loved the service and staff kindness.
I have been at the Denbigh location for over a year now and everyone involved has really succeeded in making these visits outstanding….Please keep doing the right things. It has caused difficult times to (have) delightful outcomes.
Your staff is always very nice, polite and respectful. Always easy to speak to.