When Should You Refer A Patient to Peninsula Kidney Associates?
These conditions require nephrology intervention in a timely fashion:
- Patients with eGFR < 60 and concomitant proteinuria, hematuria and/or pyuria
- Patients with eGFR < 60 and his/her GFR has been declining
- Patients with advanced CKD who will need extensive education for possible kidney transplant and different dialysis modalities
- Incidental diagnosis of polycystic kidney disease on imaging studies such as ultrasound, CT or MRI
- Unexplained proteinuria, quantitated greater than 500 mg/day
- Nephrotic syndrome (with heavy proteinuria, edema, hypoalbuminemia, hyperlipidemia) +/- hypertension
- Patients with the combination of proteinuria and hematuria or pyuria, even when proteinuria is low-grade.
- Unexplained hematuria. Patients with newly discovered hematuria +/- proteinuria may have underlying acute glomerulonephritis, which requires rapid work-up and treatment, even when creatinine/eGFR appear normal.
- Patients who have a kidney transplant
- Worsening blood pressure control in a previously stable patient
- Resistant hypertension in a patient under the age of 35, in a patient on 3 or more antihypertensive medications, or in a patient with any degree of kidney disease
- Recurrent kidney stones
- Diabetes mellitus with proteinuria and/or difficult-to-control hypertension
- Patients with a history of nephrectomy and/or a solitary kidney who have any degree of renal insufficiency
- Recurrent electrolyte abnormalities such as hyponatremia, hypercalcemia, hyper/hypokalemia, hypomagnesemia, and acid base disturbances, among others
- Refractory edema
- Pregnant women with any degree of kidney disease
There are some common conditions that generally do not require nephrology consultation:
- Solitary simple renal cysts
- Controlled hypertension in the absence of diabetes and/or abnormal eGFR
Dr. Ayodeji and his staff have always provided me with professionalism and great customer service. Even in the midst of my accepting my situation, Dr. Ayodeji was the most understanding physician I have ever dealt with. He truly cares and understands. I appreciate him in many ways as a doctor.
There is a genuine concern with my medical care. Also the staff has always worked along with me in case of an emergency.
I’ve always liked (Peninsula Kidney Associates) and will continue to come. I feel relieved to know I have had the best of care.
I always leave with the satisfaction of feeling I had the best assessment of my condition and the best intervention. I would say I am a miracle with the treatment I receive.
For me , I would rather come here than any of my other physicians.
Dr. Wang is always concerned and aware of my healthcare. Even when we call about questions, she takes the time to make any necessary adjustments.
I loved the service and staff kindness.
I have been at the Denbigh location for over a year now and everyone involved has really succeeded in making these visits outstanding….Please keep doing the right things. It has caused difficult times to (have) delightful outcomes.
Your staff is always very nice, polite and respectful. Always easy to speak to.